Pivotal Gemfire is the new name for VMware vFabric Gemfire.
Elastic In-Memory Data Management
As modern applications have become increasingly Web-oriented, data-intensive and inherently more dynamic in nature, the need for modern approaches to data management has evolved. While first- generation Web applications could tolerate time consuming round- trips to store and retrieve data from a database, newer applications require a different approach, one that is both ideally suited to this new generation of applications but also one that contemplates deployment on top of virtual infrastructure. Pivotal GemFire provides the data management capabilities of a database with the performance that only in-memory can provide. It is ideally suited for the needs of modern applications that require real-time access to data and the ability to solve some of the most complex data challenges in the world.
Key Pivotal GemFire Capabilities
Bypass high database transaction costs derived from spent CPU cycles, network traffic, database access latency and more by managing data in-memory with GemFire.
- Re-engineered Modern APIs simplify development; quick start programming examples included
- Declaratively configure GemFire data infrastructure from Spring with minimal effort, connecting secure, reliable and scalable data to enterprise applications
- Integration with the Spring Data GemFire project, including documentation and code samples, greatly simplifies development by separating business logic from system configuration.
- Built-in exception handling traverses GemFire to Spring for consistency and can be applied transparently
- Integration with the popular Spring Framework transaction management capabilities makes writing and supporting transactional enterprise applications fast, secure,reliable and scalable
- Hibernate Cache Module provides fast, scalable, distributed L2 caching for applications leveraging Hibernate object-relational mapping
Database-like Persistence for High performance and Reliability
- “Shared Nothing” parallel disk persistence combines high performance at scale with cluster-wide high availability and sophisticated failure handling
- Synchronous read-through, write-through, or asynchronous write-behind to backend data sources
- Continuous query support – automatically update applications with data from memory, no roundtrips to a database
Cloud Scale and Operational Efficiency
- GemFire’s Portable Data eXchange (PDX) is a cross-language data format that can help reduce the cost of distributing and serializing/deserializing data objects.
- GemCached embedded light-weight adapter supports mem cached client protocol
- Dynamic data partitioning across the system evens out load to enable high scale
- Co-located transactions, deliver 2-3 times higher performance for thin clients
- Wide Area Networking (WAN) support scales across remote sites; achieve high performance and low latency by parallelizing data communication and choice of synchronous or asynchronous acknowledgment
- Several management options are available, including a command-line utility, a Java Management Extensions (JMX) Agent, and GFMon, a graphical user interface monitoring tool
- HTTP Session Management Module offloads and manages HTTP session state for Pivotal tc Server or Tomcat servers. Pre-configured and automatically launching with tc Server, GemFire HTTP Session Management provides high performance and scalability for Web applications with high user loads or very large sessions.
Simplified Monitoring and Management
HTTP Session Management Module offloads and manages HTTP session state for tc Server or Tomcat servers. Preconfigured and automatically launching with tc Server, GemFire HTTP Session Management provides high performance and scalability for Web applications with high user loads or very large sessions.
GemFire Pulse – HTML5 dashboard provides view into running GemFire system
Visual Statistics Display (VSD) utility included with GemFire. Graphically monitor performance and view useful statistics.
Use the DataBrowser to connect to GemFire and browse data using ad-hoc OQL (SQL-like language) queries.
GemFire SHell (‘gfsh’) command line interface enables direct control of all aspects of running GemFire; start/stop servers, view cluster configuration, deploy and more
Simplified JMX model with federated MBeans provides a single-agent consolidated view of a GemFire distributed system. Integrated with gfsh and GemFire Pulse.
- GemFire runs on a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) in 32-bit and 64-bit mode on Windows, Linux and Solaris.
- Client nodes running C++, C# .Net and Java are supported.
- GemFire supports peer-to-peer, client/server, and multi-site (WAN) architectures.
- Certified and performance tested on VMware vSphere®.
To learn more about our products, services and solutions, visit our Pivotal GemFire page.
Pivotal™ GemFire® provides fast, secure, reliable and scalable access to data in support of modern enterprise and cloud applications. Pivotal GemFire enables the delivery of high performance applications that are data rich and continuously available regardless of the number of end-users being served.
- Lightning fast, highly available and scalable data access for modern applications—run your applications 4–40 times faster
- Parallel data execution for extremely high throughput
- Engineered for low latency
- Data replication across nodes and clusters for high availability
- Partitioning data across regions for horizontal scale
- Reliable event notifications—as data changes,applications automatically updated
- Continuous querying—updates results with predictably low latency
- “Shared nothing” disk persistence ensures disk failure on one node does not result in data loss
- Data sharing between Java, C++ and C# based applications
- WAN scaling while preserving performance, reliability and data consistency