The Journey to Great Software Begins Here
Pivotal Web Services
Public Cloud for Agile Development Operated by the Cloud Foundry ExpertsLearn More
The Leading Enterprise PaaS
Powered by Cloud Foundry
The Open Source Cloud Foundry
Deliver and Update Applications at Velocity and Scale
Pivotal CF™ is the leading enterprise PaaS, powered by Cloud Foundry. It delivers an always-available, turnkey experience for scaling and updating PaaS on the private cloud. The solution features:
- Pivotal CF Elastic Runtime Service – A complete, scalable runtime environment, extensible to most modern frameworks or languages running on Linux. Deployed applications enjoy built-in services and can automatically bind to new data services through a service broker or to an existing user-provided service.
- Pivotal CF Operations Manager – The industry’s first turnkey enterprise PaaS management platform with infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) integration.
- Pivotal CF Mobile Services -- Pivotal CF Mobile Services extends Pivotal CF with a set of services that lets companies build great mobile apps with less time and effort. Services include Push Notifications, API Gateway, and Data Sync. With these services, developers can build apps that perform quickly and provide an ideal user experience.
- Pivotal HD Service – Build, manage and scale Hadoop as a natively integrated Pivotal CF Service. Via the Service Broker, applications can bind to this service automatically assigning capacity in Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS), a database in HAWQ, and a resource queue in YARN. This reduces development cycle time by eliminating common Hadoop development complexities around deployment, security, networking and resource management.
- Pivotal RabbitMQ Service – Increase application speed, scalability and reliability by delivering asynchronous messaging to applications. A message broker for applications running on Pivotal CF, RabbitMQ Service applications can integrate with other Pivotal CF applications and with applications outside Pivotal CF using the service broker.
- Pivotal MySQL Service – Provision multi-tenant, single instance MySQL databases suitable for rapid application development and testing.
Pivotal CF Technology
How Does the Self-Service Platform for Application Management Work?
With Pivotal CF, your developers can rapidly evolve new ideas into complex applications. They simply upload their application source files using the CF CLI or via plugins for popular IDEs and build tools such as Eclipse, Maven, Gradle, Jenkins, Bamboo and more.
The simplified semantics of the CF CLI and REST API allow users to manage and scale applications, as well as create and bind zero-touch data services. Pivotal CF’s role-based control and lifecycle staging isolation enable different teams to be responsible for early development, testing, staging, and ultimately production. A web console lets developers and application owners monitor, manage and administer users and services.
What is the Buildpack Architecture in Pivotal CF?
Pivotal CF uses a flexible approach called buildpacks to dynamically assemble and configure a complete runtime environment for executing a particular class of applications. Rather than specifying how to run applications, your developers can rely on buildpacks to detect, download and configure the appropriate runtimes, containers and libraries.
Since buildpacks are extensible to most modern runtimes and frameworks running on Linux, your enterprise can deploy applications written in nearly any language to Pivotal CF. Pivotal CF provided buildpacks for Java, Ruby and Node are part of a broad buildpack provider ecosystem that ensures constant updates and maintenance for virtually any language.
How Does Pivotal CF Support Mobile Applications?
- Push Notifications. Relevant and contextual notifications sent to an individual’s mobile device are an essential to building a great mobile app. While consumer apps have long used push notifications, enterprise apps can benefit as well. For instance, banks can notify customers about cash withdrawals, logistics companies can redirect drivers en-route, and so on. Push Notifications for Pivotal CF works with iOS, Android, and Microsoft mobile devices.
- API Gateway. Developing mobile applications involves integrating with multiple backend systems and data stores. But many of these are not optimized for mobile application use, deliver far too much data for consumption on a mobile device, or are too chatty for use on low bandwidth mobile connections. API Gateway for Pivotal CF lets companies create a mobile-optimized API that reduces mobile app latency by shrinking network payloads and reducing round-trips and increases application resilience by gracefully handling unavailability of mobile API endpoints. This is critical since mobile application sessions can span areas of poor or no coverage.
- Data Sync. Practically every application requires access to data. One notable example is session state data, such as the contents of a shopping cart, or a travel itinerary. Data Sync for Pivotal CF simplifies data access for mobile apps by providing a RESTful data access API to sync data between a mobile device and backend database, and does so in a secure manner, authenticating via Oauth2, Spring Security, and OpenID Connect.
How Does Pivotal CF Support Java and Service Integration?
Your enterprise can expect outstanding Java Spring support through the Pivotal provided Java buildpack. Most Spring applications require no changes to get started on Pivotal CF and, once there, enjoy zero-touch integration with services such as MySQL and RabbitMQ. The Java buildpack automatically infers memory settings and configures the container for bound services so your developers can focus on writing code, not configuring middleware.
What Built-In Services Do Applications Enjoy?
Once deployed to Pivotal CF, applications enjoy built-in services for:
- Instant, horizontal application-tier scaling in real time -Tight coordination of dynamic routing and fast, dynamic container creation enable Pivotal CF to instantly scale and update hundreds of instances. Pivotal CF empowers your enterprise to support mobile and social applications and update them with new features at a velocity and scale previously only available to Internet giants.
- Load balancing and domain name system (DNS) – A truly scalable platform, Pivotal CF maintains availability for all running applications with minimum operator intervention.
- Automated health management – A third-generation application health manager continuously monitors all applications running on a Pivotal CF instance and intervenes to make the actual state match the intended state.
- Logging and auditing – Pivotal CF Loggregator can tail a unified log stream of application platform events and end-user actions to clients such as the CF CLI, and publish the log stream to a syslog drain for integration with tools such as Splunk or logstash.
Built-in features of the Pivotal CF Elastic Runtime Service allow your enterprise to dramatically reduce the number of vendors and integrations required for continuous software delivery.
Is Pivotal CF Configurable and Extensible?
Enterprises are shifting to consumable web services to simplify configuration and increase application extensibility and portability. Using Pivotal CF’s standard service “binding” mechanism, your enterprise can benefit from automatic provisioning, configuration, management and storage of service connection information, credentials and dependencies. An application can now be moved from development and test to staging and production environments with no changes.
How Does the Integrated PaaS Operations Manager Work?
Pivotal CF is the only PaaS that supports direct IaaS API integration for turnkey deployment and full life-cycle management. Pivotal CF Operations Manager installs from a single virtual appliance (OVA). From there, Operations Manager fully automates the deployment of Pivotal CF using IaaS APIs onto a resource pool of Ubuntu or CentOS virtual machines and Linux containers.
How Is Pivotal CF Optimized for VMware vSphere?
Cloud operators can use a simple interface for rapid, turnkey deployment onto a VMware vSphere virtualized environment running in the data center. Operations Manager uses ‘canary-style’ deployments to perform live updates of a running Pivotal CF system. This allows a cloud operator, with a few clicks, to both vertically and horizontally scale the Pivotal CF Elastic Runtime Service and Pivotal One services, as well as provide continuous software updates and upgrades for Pivotal CF, including operating system patches without application downtime. Pivotal CF Operations Manager provides a general mechanism for turnkey deployment of large-scale distributed services, including easy deployments of Pivotal CF Elastic Runtime Services, Pivotal HD and RabbitMQ add-ons.